Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gloria In Excelsis Deo



One thing that hit me like a gentle Mac Truck this Christmas was the deep joy of blessing. Watching Matt and Ann promise to love each other before God, being established into my own marriage to my best friend, reveling in the presence of family and listening to the words of familiar carols all had a profound effect on my small, sentimental self.

I received a gift from a dear friend who passed away last year, shortly after our wedding, by way of her sister, who is one of those "closer than brothers" kinds. Things like that are deeper than my ability to explain or even understand myself. But I do know that the gift reminded me of the goodness of my God. Maybe that doesn't make sense. But things like that - how painful loss can make me more sure of God's reality and goodness - make me realize that I have deeper parts in my soul than I knew about before.

And so my Christmas this year is described best by Isaiah:

"My servants will sing out of the joy of their hearts." (64:14)

I love that I'm allowed to be His servant. And that there's no more joyful or content place to be.

No comments: