Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Cathedral in Seville has a Rose Window


I answered the knock to find to middle aged women smiling at me... with pamphlets. Oh crap.

"Can we leave this pamphlet with you? It answers some basic questions that you can find in your Bible..."

"Are you Jehovah's Witnesses?"

"Yes," they answered simultaneously and with bigger smiles.

Yuck.

What I should have said was, "You want me to look in my Bible? My Bible says Jesus is the only way to God. Do you really want to point me there? My God is big enough that He didn't change His mind and have to send a second testament."

What I should have said was, "If I do, will it increase your chances of getting to heaven?"

What I said was, "No thank you, but have a nice night." Because I was thinking about making dinner and, frankly, I was surprised to see female Jehovah's Witnesses at my door.

I always think of the right thing to say after the fact. During the fact, being put on the spot, I default and politely retreat.

The good thing about blind people wandering the streets of Pensacola is that it reminds me of the truth. That Jesus Christ is God. That He died to free me from the curse of death. And that my salvation and righteousness is found in Him alone. Not having to earn my freedom sure makes life easier.

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world. Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything. The only thing that counts is the new Creation."

1 comment:

Megan said...

"Are you wearing the magic underwear?"

God is so amazing. I love how big He is!