CHILD, child, love while you can
The voice and the eyes and the soul of a man;
Never fear though it break your heart --
Out of the wound new joy will start;
Only love proudly and gladly and well,
Though love be heaven or love be hell.
- Child, child, love while you may,
- For life is short as a happy day;
- Never fear the thing you feel --
- Only by love is life made real;
- Love, for the deadly sins are seven,
- Only through love will you enter heave
- LIFE has loveliness to sell,
- All beautiful and splendid things,
- Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
- Soaring fire that sways and sings,
- And children's faces looking up
- Holding wonder like a cup.
- Life has loveliness to sell,
- Music like a curve of gold,
- Scent of pine trees in the rain,
- Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
- And for your spirit's still delight,
- Holy thoughts that star the night.
- Spend all you have for loveliness,
- Buy it and never count the cost;
- For one white singing hour of peace
- Count many a year of strife well lost,
- And for a breath of ecstasy
- Give all you have been, or could be.